News:

Welcome to the new forum!  We hope you like the improvements!

Main Menu

freshman goes 11' 3"

Started by shawnk, May 18, 2007, 07:03:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnk

I am the vault coach at holy family catholic high school and we had our conference meet tonight and one of my vaulters who is a freshman pr'd by a foot and three inches and went 11' 3". not to bad for a freshman, what do you guys think

Chris

That's pretty solid for a freshman.  Until last season our freshman record was 11-3.  It was broken last season and is now 12-0.  I just had another freshman jump 11-11 and had some close attempts at 12-5.

Keep up the good work!
Chris Milton
Eden Prairie HS PV Coach

shawnk

another thing is he didn't he didn't miss until 11'6" and he almost cleared that. he didn't start vaulting until the first week of april so he missed a good chunk of the season. it is my first year coaching at hf as well as my first year coaching over all so it took me a while to get some kids to come and vault. it's been fun. we're shooting for 11'6" at state on saturday. two meets in three days is a lot though.

Chris

Both of these two freshman jumped before their freshman year so they have a bit of a head start.  My last two freshman to jump 11-3 went on to jump 14-9 and 14-10.
Chris Milton
Eden Prairie HS PV Coach

Steve

Well done Shawn!!!
--This is a big performance for a first year kid
--This is a big performance for a first year coach
--This is a big performance with a developing pole inventory
--This is a big performance all around
...great recruiting and excellent work..you should be proud.

This coaching thing is pretty fun eh?  Recruiting is always a bit tougher when you do not teach in the building (just ask Milton and almost any other vault coach).  Milton is absolutely right--look for your kid to be a big contender soon.  14'+

Milton--maybe we (you) should begin a MN state frosh record board...might be fun.  I think there has been more than one 13'6 MN frosh, but I have never heard of a 14' frosh (in MN).  

Steve White
Flight Deck Athletics, owner
(763) 458-2932
steve@flightdeckathletics.com

shawnk

thanks guys. this coaching thing is a lot of fun. I'm working on getting him to come to some of your camps this summer steve. so hopefully you will see him there.

Chris

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

Milton--maybe we (you) should begin a MN state frosh record board...might be fun.  I think there has been more than one 13'6 MN frosh, but I have never heard of a 14' frosh (in MN).  

Steve, I already started one and posted here: http://flightdeckathletics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=315

I think the boys list could use some work and I am trying to get a hold of Miles' all time performance lists to update it.
Chris Milton
Eden Prairie HS PV Coach

shawnk

here is a little update. he went 11'6" on saturday at true team state. he improved his pr by a foot and a half in 3 days. he was also pretty close to 12' he was tired and he wasn't turning if he would have turned it would have been even closer

Chris

Chris Milton
Eden Prairie HS PV Coach

remmy

I have a freshman that has gone 11'6" in almost every meet this year.  He hashad excellent attempts at 12'.  He is not getting any throw off the top though.  We have been working to get rid of his double leg swing.  any suggestions?  Could this be the cause of no throw?

Chris

You should be able to fix his double leg swing by practicing pop-ups from 4-6 steps.  This may be the cause of not getting much off the top of the pole.  I would bet that he is not covering the pole fast enough to get into position to receive any of the energy back from the pole.  It also depends on what weight pole he is on based on his weight.  You're not going to see much if the pole is rated at his weight.  Shoot for 10-20lbs over his weight.  A better plant and swing will allow him to get onto these poles.
Chris Milton
Eden Prairie HS PV Coach

remmy

His plant is prety good.  He weighs 138 and is on a 13' 150.  He is alright going as high as his hand hold at the top but should be able to  go at least a foot and a half higher than his and hold shouldn't he?  We  have been working pop-ups more recently but it has not carried over to his full vaults.  I am trying to steer him to Steve and Caroline's vault camp for at least a week this summer to see if you can help him make a good jump from this year to next.  He went 10'6" (off his wrong foot!!!) last year and was hoping to get him to 12'6" this year but it has been a strugle to get over 12.  He has had great attempts at 12 in competition and has cleared 12'6" in practice.  I need to get him in the pool to work on the top of his vault but am running into interference with his mother.  (Says it makes him sick)

Chris

So he is jumping about 10 lbs over his weight on a 13' pole.  If he can get faster and improve his takeoff and swing he should be able to get on a 155/160 no problem.  How high is he holding?  If he is only holding 11-6 like you say according to his PR he might be better off using a 12' pole if you can get access to one.

You technically should be able to jump a foot or two over your grip.  Many people can do that but you don't see too many HS kids in MN doing that.  I can usually get most of my HS boys to jump their grip and have some success doing that.
Chris Milton
Eden Prairie HS PV Coach

remmy

i am sorry. He is holding at the top of the pole.  I was taking in account the 9" drop in the box.  He is holdind at approximately 12'9".
thank you for the advice.

Chris

No problem.  It's hard to say what is truly going on without seeing the jump.  Good luck the rest of this season.
Chris Milton
Eden Prairie HS PV Coach