News:

Welcome to the new forum!  We hope you like the improvements!

Main Menu

Brock Spandl Sets Freshman Record in the Hep

Started by Chris, January 29, 2008, 09:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Brock Spandl Sets Freshman Record in the Heptathlon
quote:

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=38682&SPID=3305&DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=1376030

Redshirt freshman Brock Spandl collected 5,206 points to place second and set a Minnesota freshman record at the Jack Johnson Minnesota Invitational on Saturday at the University Fieldhouse. Former Gopher field event standout and multiple Big Ten champion Derek Gearman won the event with 5,495 points.

Spandl fell just 94 points short of an NCAA provisional standard while competing in his first collegiate heptathlon. On the second day, Spandl ran a time of 8.54 seconds in the 60-meter high hurdles, cleared 16 feet, 5 3/4 inches in the pole vault (a height that would have won the individual pole vault event) and finished with a time of 2 minutes, 54.14 seconds in the 800-meter run.

Sophomores Ben Peterson and Joe Plencner went 1-2 in the pole vault, both clearing 16-5 1/2 but Peterson taking first with less missed attempts. David Gierut and Andy Lindberg tied for third with efforts of 15-7 3/4.

Chris Milton
Eden Prairie HS PV Coach

Chris

That's easy to say when you didn't do 5 other events!

p.s. check you 800m times.
Chris Milton
Eden Prairie HS PV Coach

Caroline

If you have girls that fast Jamie, they are going to college for free & probably Bejing this summer!
Caroline White
U of MN Women's Pole Vault Coach

Directions to FDA, White's home

Flight Deck Athletics, Inc.
5701 Rhode Island Ave N
Crystal MN  55428

Caroline

I thought you had girls running 1:54 based on your post which is an amazing time...and no, no one gives full rides for 2:15s.
Are we going to see you at any local meets?
Caroline White

5701 Rhode Island Ave N
Crystal MN  55428

Steve

As Brock's vault coach,
I am confused by all the errors...

first, there are (7) events in the Heptathlon.
second, the 1000m is run, not the 800m.
third, I believe comparisons between open events and multi-events are always weak at best.  Although I never competed in a hep, I did compete in a decathlon, in college, two weeks after going a PR of 17'.  Yeah I went 14'6 in the dec.  I have never felt pain like that before or since; I found day-2 to be incredibly tough--difficult to even touch my toes.  That Brock was jumping at his PR on a day-2 is unbelievably impressive for me.  He cleared 5.02 and missed 5.12.  Hats-off.
Fourth, although a high school kid may exist that can vault 16'5, LJ 22'10 and then run 1:52 in the 800, I have never seen such a kid.  I think it is because ideal training for jumping/sprinting events must be at the expense of ideal training in the endurance events (and vice versa).  The beauty and art of the multi-events is knowing these trade-offs and appropriately choosing what to focus on for a specific athlete's strengths and weaknesses.  

The one message in all the posts is clear, though sometimes a little lost, is a big congratulations to Brock--the best frosh heptathlete the UofM has ever had!  All of Flight Deck is rooting for Brock and excited at how great he did in his first ever hep and how great he is going to be in a minute.

I am very proud to be one of his coaches
Steve White
Flight Deck Athletics, owner
(763) 458-2932
steve@flightdeckathletics.com

Chris

quote:
Originally posted by Chris
That's easy to say when you didn't do 5 other events!

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
first, there are (7) events in the Heptathlon.

I've been home sick most of the week.  Please excuse my drug clouded brain!
Chris Milton
Eden Prairie HS PV Coach

Caroline

Steve & I will have a few kids at Stout.  Most of the men are going to Nebraska and most of the women have the weekend off.  Hope to see you there.
Caroline White

5701 Rhode Island Ave N
Crystal MN  55428

Steve

Jamie and team
Here is a link to the meet info
http://www.uwstout.edu/athletics/mtf/home.htm

The Warren Bowlus Open - February 2, 2008, noon
Schedule of Events--a pdf sheet