News:

Welcome to the new forum!  We hope you like the improvements!

Main Menu

training and diet

Started by jas_13, February 29, 2004, 07:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jas_13

highschool track season starts in about two weeks and i was wondering if you guys have any suggestions of what to do to get somewhat ready for the season besides the generic "lifting and running" answer. also any idea on thing i can do for the two weeks i will be in spain would be great. and lastly if anyone has any ideas on how to lose about five lbs with out starving myself or losing just water weight, that woud be much appreciated.
thanks
jason

Chris

I think the best thing that you can do until the season starts is try to build up the best conditioning base you can.  I would do some jogging and maybe some light 200m-400m sprints so that your body is use to it when practice actually starts.  I would also get into the weight room and do a lot of pull-ups, push-ups and other vault specific exercises.  The stronger your core strength is the better off you will be.  As far as losing some weight goes, I think you should just watch what you eat.  Try to eat well balanced meals and try not to stuff yourself full every time you sit down to eat.  The combination of working out and watching what you eat will help you get leaner.
Chris Milton
Eden Prairie HS PV Coach

Steve

I agree with Chris
--Start running (alternate jogging one day, 200m or 400m sprints the next day)
--Start lifting your body in all directions (squats, push-ups, handstand push-ups, pull-ups, anything gymnastic)
--Eat as much fruit vegies as you like.  Stop eating crap, or at the very least, cut back (Pizza pop McDonalds etc)

Don't try to do too much activity too soon, or you'll start the season injured.

The "two-weeks" part of your question is what makes it tough.  Being an excellent athlete is a long-term commitment.  Ideally changing from being a spectator to athlete should take 6 weeks to 6 months depending on how long the person was spectating.  Every year the ability to regain conditioning after periods of inactivity becomes more difficult.

Do well, Be careful, and good luck

Steve
Steve White
Flight Deck Athletics, owner
(763) 458-2932
steve@flightdeckathletics.com